niedziela, 16 grudnia 2018

Yes, that's right, more changes to come...


Hiya! 
It is time for some update on my BA thesis, right?
“Insist on yourself; never imitate. Your own gift you can present every moment with the cumulative force of a whole life's cultivation; but of the adopted talent of another you have only an extemporaneous half possession. That which each can do best, none but his Maker can teach him” wrote Ralph Waldo Emerson, American essayist, leader of transcendentalist movement, and a champion of individualism, in his famous essay entitled “Self-Reliance”. Emerson argues that self- sufficiency gives one the freedom to discover one’s true self and win true independence. Self- reliance, according to him, is the foundation of a productive, efficient, and self-sustaining society. However, the ideas expressed in Emerson’s essay constitute much broader panorama. Namely, Emerson, addressing anonymous individual, addresses the whole America as a country.  This myth of self- reliance presented by Emerson nestled deeply in Americans mentality and gave origin to one of the most paradoxical myths Americans live to date. Over the centuries, they have been emphasizing that all the bonds between Europe and their homeland no longer exists or that they do not need European influences in art, philosophy or politics and the biggest afflatus comes from America herself. America in which they may found everything they need to live happily ever after. Nevertheless, the perfect image of self- reliance does not exist. I wanted to prove it in my dissertation by employing the greatest Europeans names whose ideas may be found in the creations of the biggest Americans figures. I wanted to demonstrate that Emerson was wrong and that Americans are not able to come up with everything by themselves. When I wrote this sentence I got scared. After all, undermining ideas of one of the greatest figure in America is quite risky.

And then I saw our supervisor to discuss my BA thesis and things changed again. I was proposed a new topic, still closely related to Tolkien, which I am totally excited about! Check my next post to read more about it.


Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz